The Dynamic Data Futures is a buildable sample that contains many of the new ideas we are thinking about building into Dynamic Data version 2.0. This project is available in source format and builds a Microsoft.Web.DynamicData.Extensions.dll that can be used to add this new functionality into an existing Dynamic Data website. Here are soime of the items you will find in the project:
- Have fields in the control that display images from the database
- Support for Insert pages grabbing their default value from filters
- Support for ADO.NET Data Services (also known as Project code name “Astoria”)
- Support for binding to plain CLR objects
- Support for ObjectDataSource
- Localized displayname and description attributes
- Add metadata to objects at runtime
- Advanced filters (autocomplete, cascading)
- FieldTemplate for Enum columns
- Added ImprovedDynamicValidator control that fixes issues with DynamicValidator correctly catching exceptions thrown off a validated data model object. A tag mapping in web.config is used to automatically replace all instance of DynamicValidator with ImprovedDynamicValidator. This validator is also now added to the ForeignKey_Edit template.
- Fixed a number of issues with the default Style.css stylesheet being to generic. Also added the AjaxToolkitFixes.css stylesheet to work around certain issues with using Ajax Control Toolkit controls embedded inside of field templates.
- Added EnumDataTypeAttribute that can be used to mark integral columns as actually representing enumerated CLR types.
- Modified the Enumeration field template and filter template to take EnumDataTypeAttribute into account.
- Modified the Enumeration filter template to detect if an enum is in flags mode and display a CheckBoxList instead of a DropDownList.
- Added validation to the DbImage_Edit template. It now verifies that the provided file is a valid image and also that a file is provided at all if the column is required.
- Added constraints to routes to illustrate how to block invalid requests.